The research and information for this blog was completed by intern Sarah Stahl.
Information for Couples in Maryland
There are requirements that need to be met before a marriage license can be obtained. The requirements differ from state to state and some counties within the same state can have different requirements as well.
In Maryland each county has the same requirements, but the fee is different. The fees range from $35-$85. The requirements in Maryland are as follows:
- Must purchase the license in the county in which you are going to be married.
- There is a 48-hour waiting period from when you obtain the marriage license until you can use it.
- Must get married within 6 months of the issuance of marriage license.
- One applicant must appear in person with the following information for both parties: name, DOB, age, state of birth, current address, social security number, marital status, and if either of you were previously married, make sure you have the date and location of divorce or death of spouse.
- Whether the parties are related by blood or marriage and the degree of the relationship.
- Completed application and a valid, unexpired government issued ID must be presented. If the photo ID cannot be presented, then 2 other forms of identification, such as, SS card, copy of tax return or w2, bank statement, pay stub, or current car registration can be used.
- Under 20 years old are required to provide proof of age in the form of a passport or birth record.
- Under 18 years old must have parent consent or letter from their physician stating that they have been examined and are pregnant or have given birth.
- 15 years old must have both of the above. And if under the age of 15, marriage is not allowed.
- Both applicants must be present when applying for a marriage license.
- No waiting period.
- Applicants do not have to be residents of Virginia, but must obtain the marriage licence in the commonwealth of Virginia if being married in Virginia.
- Must use license with in 60 days.
- Provide non-expired government issued photo ID in the form of a driver’s license, passport, or military ID.
- Must provide both parent’s full birth names.
- $30 fee.
- Provide SSN or VA issued DMV control number.
- If previously married, a court issued divorce decree must be presented to the clerk.
- The age limit is 18 unless the applicant was emancipated by a court order.
- Provide SSN, DOB, address, telephone numbers of both applicants.
- Proof of age.
- Provide non-expired government issued photo ID in the form of a driver’s license, passport, or military ID for both parties.
- Third party can apply on the behalf of applicants if they bring the couple’s ID, application and fee.
- Officiant name is required.
- No waiting period.
- $45 fee ($35 for application and $10 for certificate of marriage). $35 fee will be waived if a domestic partnership certificate is presented at the time of application.
- Marriage license does not expire.
- Marriage licenses are issued at the Marriage Bureau.
- Minimum age is 18. Age 16 is allowed if there is consent from a parent or guardian.
Please feel free to share this information with family and friends who may be getting married in Maryland, Washington DC, or Virginia.